I’m working as university researcher in the Faculty of Education, Centre for Media Pedagogy at University of Lapland. Since 2003, my research work has focused especially on playful learning and on a “playful learning environment”, a play and game-based learning environment designed for 21st century education.
My doctoral dissertation “The School of the Future: Theoretical and Pedagogical Approaches for Creative and Playful Learning Environments” (Kangas, 2010), was rewarded by professor Lea Pulkkinen Award in 2012 at University of Jyväskylä. In 2017, I was nominated as a title of adjunct professor in playful and gameful learning at University of Jyväskylä.
My research interests include playful learning pedagogy, game-based pedagogy, children’s agency and wellbeing, media literacy and digital learning practices in formal and informal learning environments, multiprofessional collaboration, and teacher competences in 21st century education. I currently work or have worked in the following research and development projects:
- Playful Learning 2018-2019 (Business Finland)
- Playful Lapland 2017-2018 (Business Finland)
- Supporting athletic primary school students’ wellbeing through digital tools and subject integration 2017-2018 (Finnish National Agency for Education)
- DigiGo! Digitalization in Teaching and Learning 2017-2019
- Pedagogical design for IPR e-learning environment 2017
- OmniSchool 2011-2015 (Koulu Kaikkialla -hanke)
- PlayIT and InnoPlay 2006-2010
- LEVIKE 2006
- Let’s Play 2003-2006
I am very inspired by innovative ways of learning and teaching, and by pure nature in Finnish Lapland where I live.
Marjaana Kangas, Ph.D, Title of Adjunct professor (playful and gameful learning)
University of Lapland
Faculty of Education/ Centre for Media Pedagogy
PO Box 122, FI-96101 ROVANIEMI, FINLAND