Ph.D., Education, University of Lapland
Adjunct Professor, playful and game-based learning
Co-founder & Chair of the Board, Playful Learning Ltd.
Completed non-academic programs:
REACH Acceleration program provided by Nordic Innovation House in Silicon Valley, 2018-2019
A forerunner of the research on playful learning in Finland, and a co-developer of a “playful learning environment”, an innovative play and game-based learning environment designed for 21st century education. The dissertation “The School of the Future: Theoretical and Pedagogical Approaches for Creative and Playful Learning Environments” (Kangas, 2010), was rewarded by professor Lea Pulkkinen Award in 2012.
My research has mainly focused on understanding teaching and learning processes in various learning contexts, especially on the use of play, games and digital tools in 21st century education. Playful learning, students’ and teachers’ agency, digital media literacies and competences, out-of-school practices and creative collaboration have been at the core of my research interests. The research includes topics from early childhood to adult education.
I have worked in many multidisciplinary research teams and research projects funded by European Social Fund, Business Finland, Ministry of Education or Finnish National Agency for Education (the list below):
- AI in Learning 2020-2021 (Business Finland)
- Playful Learning 2018-2019 (Business Finland)
- Playful Lapland 2017-2018 (Business Finland)
- Work life pedagogy in higher education (2018-2020) (Ministry of Education)
- Supporting athletic primary school students’ wellbeing through digital tools and subject integration 2017-2018 (Finnish National Agency for Education)
- DigiGo! Digitalization in Teaching and Learning 2017-2019 (European Social Fund)
- Pedagogical design for IPR e-learning environment 2017
- OmniSchool 2011-2015 (Koulu Kaikkialla -hanke) (Ministry of Education)
- PlayIT and InnoPlay 2006-2010 (Busness Finland)
- LEVIKE 2006
- Let’s Play 2003-2006
I am very inspired by pure nature in Finnish Lapland where I live.
University of Lapland
Faculty of Education/ Media Education Hub
PO Box 122, FI-96101 ROVANIEMI, FINLAND